A YEAR AT A GLANCE!
What happened in 2018
As we start a new year we would like to reflect on everything that happened in 2018! It was a busy full of events year for us! The most important event: after over 10 years of being a club we have become a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization “Russian Heritage Society”
- We celebrated a new 2018 year as our annual tradition with a Children’s program with Grandfather Frost and Snow Maiden, Baba Yaga and others. Annual potluck dinner gathered many friends for a night of fun!
- We celebrated Maslenitsa (pancake week) with singing, dancing, face painting, potluck lunch
- We held an outreach session for passports exchange with the Consulate General of Russia. This program helps people submit their paperwork without the hassle of flying to Houston.
- We celebrated Rozalia’s 95th birthday. Rozalia is an actress from Baku and world war II veteran who immigrated to the United States in the 90s. Since then she has been learning piano and art, she has given many of her friends her beautiful artwork. Rozalia is now in a nursing home and still loves having visitors over.
- Orthodox Ester Celebration https://www.facebook.com/events/2095322900704250/
- We added a new event: Teen Night https://www.facebook.com/events/2123075491294060/
- Participated in in the International Day of the Child festival with the performance program! Many people stopped by the Russian table, they asked us many questions about our culture and some were trying to learn new words. Together with a children’s dance studio “Firebird” we performed several dances and songs.
- Annual Victory day Celebration “Immortal regiment”. We talked about our family members and their life during the world war II, many shared their stories.
- We hosted an amazing Impressionist from Moscow Russia who had a workshop in Kansas City! We also offered a meet and greet event that people could join and interview the artist.
Here is the exclusive interview with Slava Korolenkov. Slava is coming back to Kansas city for another workshop in May of 2019.
- We were so happy to support the orphanage for mentally ill children in Kazan Russia, this was our second mission! This year we were able to help with remodeling of brand new wing in the orphanage for little kids! We were able to communicate with all the kids, they love singing, performing and welcoming guests! Together with the community of friends we collected $600 and got all the necessary equipment for the new place! Besides the monetary support one of our donors donated some medical supplies that we were able to donate to a more remote orphanage about 1 hour drive from Kazan Russia. They desperately needed it for nearly 100 children that are attached to wheelchairs or hospital beds.
- We celebrated our 14th birthday! Traditional potluck lunch in the park, singing and dancing!
- We held first annual Holiday Bazaar where we presented several Russian speaking businesses/services and offered a bake sale!
- Russian Language School celebrated the end of the year with Grandfather Frost and Snow Maiden, children got a gift from Grandfather Frost, participated in games and dances.Grandfather Frost, Snow maiden and their helpers visited children in their homes to celebrate upcoming new year! Children and their parents were thrilled with dancing and singing performed by the group. Children wrote letters to Grandfather Frost at the classes in the Russian Language School “Talent Ville Club” (https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalentVilleClub/) and were so happy to get those gifts from the hands of Grandfather Frost.
Talk to Us
Please call Jane at 913-744-7011. We are here to answer your questions!
Want to share your experience, good or bad? We are always striving to improve and welcome all feedback. Please contact us today.